If you are looking to recover from a drug or alcohol addiction, the good news is that there are many different types of resources available to you. The insights into the source(s) of your addiction that you can get from a therapist or counselor in drug treatment in Sacramento are one such resource. Another is the partnership you can form with a life coach.
How a Life Coach Can Help You Recover and Stay Sober
A life coach, also called a peer mentor, is a person who can provide support—from emotional to logistical—during treatment and beyond. Similar in some ways to a personal fitness instructor, a life coach gets to know you and provides the type and amount of assistance and input you need when you face mental, emotional, or physical challenges on the road to recovery.
What specifically can a life coach do for you? Here are some examples:
- Provide input on the development of your recovery plan based on their understanding of your wants and needs
- Help you find the treatment resources you need to support your journey
- Help you obtain basic life necessities such as housing, food, and transportation
- Provide assistance that improves the stability of your family while you undergo treatment
- Serve as your advocate with the important people and organizations in your life
- Be a source of encouragement, hope, and inspiration when you encounter challenges
- Provide feedback as you look to make difficult decisions
- Give an objective opinion on the way you are living your life and/or pursuing recovery
- Help you find professional services providers like lawyers, financial consultants, doctors, etc.
- Assist with job hunting and securing a position
How to Work with a Life Coach
The key to benefitting from your interaction with a life coach is being open and honest. Of course, you first need to be sure that the person is someone you trust and who has your best interests at heart. But, then, it’s critical that you be truthful with them about your recovery goals, your plan for achieving them, and your concerns about the pitfalls along the way. The better your life coach understands you, the more effective they can be in motivating you and working on your behalf.
A Team Approach to Recovery
If you choose to work with a life coach, that person can be an integral part of your care team. Their collaboration with you, your counselor, and your family and friends can have a very positive impact on your ability to achieve and maintain sobriety. If you are looking for drug treatment in Sacramento, please contact us today to learn about your services.